Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Good from Bad

Please note, I am in no way trying to negate or belittle the tragedy and horror of 9/11/2001, please don't misconstrue what I am expressing here....

On September 11, 2001, my alarm went off at 7am.  I got up, jumped in the shower, climbed in my car and headed to work.  After I got my costume, I headed to the locker room and overhead, I heard the news break into the music on the radio to announce that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center.  I didn't hear everything that was said, but I thought to myself, "Hmmm, World Trade Center, I think there is one in Baltimore, wonder what happened....".  Walking through the tunnels to head onstage, I passed a break room that had a tv playing and as I walked by they replayed the tower being hit and I see that they are talking about NY and that this is serious....possibly not an accident at all.  I hurry to punch in and take the elevator upstairs.  My co-cast members who have been there since earlier that morning, bombard me with questions.  I fill them in with as much as I know.  A manager walks by to caution us from discussing the situation on stage.  We don't want to alarm the guests. 
An hour after I arrive, we are informed that we are evacuating the park, and for the second time in the history of the Magic Kingdom, it will be evacuated and closed for the day.

So where were you?

I was right here... 

Source

Two weeks before September 11th, I left MD, and moved to FL to start the Walt Disney World College Internship Program. I was assigned retail operations, and I was based in the gift shop off of Splash Mountain, and mainly sold the ride pictures. 

So today, I remember those lost souls and mourn the atrocities that accompany that fateful morning.  I remember being a scared twenty year old, many miles away from family and friends.  I remember the sadness for the loss of the world that we had once known.

But also, there is a sense of gratitude for a catastrophe that came to inspire me.  A spark, that set into motion an amazing set of events:

September 11th created some of the lowest park attendance that Walt Disney World had ever seen...
The college program interns had our hours considerably cut...
I wasn't making much to begin with and now I was making even less...
I could barely make ends meet and I knew that I could never live like this again...
I knew that I had to go back to school and finish my degree...
I started researching colleges and spoke with my father about moving to PA and going to school there...
Applied to Millersville University and was accepted for Fall 2002...
Went to school and entered the Secondary Education program...
Was placed in Hempfield High School for my Student Teaching...
Assigned to Mr. Harry Sachwald as my co-op...whose classroom was two doors down from a Mrs. D'Orio, the co-op teacher of....the Hubs.

Our wedding song is "The Luckiest" and if you have never heard it, I beg you to give a listen.  One of the main reasons that it really resonates with me is because of this line...

"I don't get many things right the first time
In fact, I am told that a lot
Now I know all the wrong turns
The stumbles and falls brought me here"

So as I have said, I of course mourn with our nation the loss and tragedy that is remembered today, but for our little family, I feel blessed. 
Good can come from bad.  And we are the proof.

1 comment:

~Dawn~ said...

This is such a beautiful story!!

I have been listening to the radio and news stations all day - talk about the devistation and the horrible things that happened that day, so it's finally nice to hear that despite the tragedy - it led you to your soulmate and a happily ever after. :)

Now, please explain the costume and the job at Disney - I've been reading your blog for awhile - but, did I miss something? haha

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails