Monday, August 23, 2010

Movies

So my last post was a movie of Maggie and I complained that there wasn't a way to make a longer video for free...then my husband politely pointed out to me that I have a program on my computer where I can create a movie as long as I want for absolutely nothing (duh!!). So I started working on that last night, but I got shiny with True Blood, so I will work on it later.

On to another topic...I got the "privilege" of watching the movie "Last Song" OnDemand a couple of days ago and here are my two cents. So let me start with a little background on me...I am a MOVIE BUFF. I love movies. I can sit and watch movie, after movie, after movie... I can watch old movies, new movies, any genre (except some horror movies...esp. zombie movies...I hate the idea of someone trying to eat you), and I can watch the same movie multiple times. Also you should now that I ruin surprises. I have a little obsession with knowing exactly what is coming next. This means that during movies I try to guess what is coming next and I am normally right. And then if I can't figure it out, I have been known to jump on Wikipedia to find out the answer. In real life this means that if someone is trying to plan a surprise for me, I pretty much figure it out and in general it has been a long time since I have been truly surprised. Don't get me wrong it's not that I don't like surprises, it's just that I like knowing what to expect a lot more!

So anyways, back to my review of "Last Song". First, I would like to say that I have enjoyed a couple of Nicholas Spark's books, specifically The Wedding and The Notebook. Unfortunately, when it comes to the film adaptation of Spark's movies, I only enjoyed "The Notebook". But I thought I would give this movie a chance, even though I did not read the book. I was a little skeptical with Miley Cyrus helming the movie, but I thought that I had read some good reviews, and there was nothing on t.v. [Spoiler alert-- do not read ahead if you don't want the movie spoiled] So right off the bat, I predicted that the father was sick and the hot guy was rich. Very disappointing that that was about it for the entire movie. I had thought from the previews and things that I read about this movie, that there would be some great twist and revelation. Nope, none of that here. Just a totally cliched movie, with really bad acting from Cyrus. And the worst scene, the one that should have been the tear jerker...when she realizes that her father is dying and crawls into his hospital bed crying "Daddy...Daddy"...horrible. Overall, I thought the movie was way too predictable and if you ask me, both of these plots have been done better in other movies. If you want to see the terminally ill father tries to reach out to dysfunctional teen child by kidnapping him for a summer of growth and maturity...watch "Life as a House". Kevin Kline is amazing as the dying Dad trying to connect with the ok Hayden Christensen as the rebellious teen. And for the rich kid falls for the girl from the wrong side of the tracks movie, go for the classic "Pretty in Pink". The best parts of this movie? The turtle scene and the kid brother. Were they worth watching the whole movie?? No. In my opinion, not worth your time.

--Sarah

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails