Sunday, January 30, 2011

Valentine's Day?

So with the end of January I start to think about next month and the first thing that pops into my head when I think about February is Valentine's Day.

Over the years I have heard a lot of people complain about Valentine's day. That's it's a stupid commercial holiday created by the card and candy companies and that it shouldn't really count. I can appreciate that it shouldn't be considered one of the big holidays, but I think a holiday created just to celebrate love....what's so bad about that??

I am of the belief that you should try to express your love everyday of the year, but I think it is especially wonderful to have one day set aside to really do it up. Valentine's day lets the tough, unemotional guy or girl have a day when they won't feel embarrassed to express how they really feel. It reminds the beleaguered married couple that they should carve out some time for themselves and cherish the relationship they have. And it helps the family that gets so caught up in the day to day, with a small conversation heart that helps remind them to pause and appreciate the ones around them.

I haven't always had Valentine's on the actual day, but those years I tried to be the best Valentine I could be to myself. And that's important too. Take a moment to stop and remember that you are a part of the equation too, and that you deserve a cut of the love as well. It may sound cliche but if you aren't nice to yourself then you can't really be that nice to others.

Overall, I don't really see why anyone would have that big of a deal with Valentine's day...It's really just about being nice to those around you, appreciating each other and finally love. Because all you need is love....

So for this Valentine's day show someone that you care with a card or a gift. And if you are lucky enough to be on the receiving end of one if these don't forget to send a thank you card.


2 comments:

TeeTee Lynn said...

Hmmm. I am typically one of those Valentine's Day grinches, but you make some really good points. Hmmm. (particularly about the married couple needing to carve out time for each other...). :)

Shannon said...

I love Valentine's Day...well all holidays for that matter, but totally agree, show your love every day!

Hope you're having a great Monday!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails